Sunday, October 4, 2009

Playing the fool...

I am not a fan of feeling foolish... or weak. In fact, I've spent most of my life avoiding any and all opportunities in which I could come out looking stupid.

On-going Berlin lesson #1: Get used to feeling stupid!

Reality... I will feel stupid, inadequate, and weak while living here.

I can't make small talk with the lady at the grocery store yet, but thats ok. Yes, I look like a deer in headlights everytime someone starts speaking to me in German, but thats ok... (and probably quite humorous for the other person, too ;o)
The whole metric system thing makes me feel dumb... but I'm sure my body will soon understand what 10°C feels like (50°F, for your information ;o)
People here don't think like I think... or smile at strangers in the subway... or wear sweatpants and tennis shoes... and that's ok, just different.

But I'm not here to look good or impress.
By taking away the security I normally place in my abilities, I think I will see more clearly both who God is and who I am. God, in His usual fashion, sees things completely contrary to the way that I see them.

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that are not - to nullify the things that are, so that no one can boast before Him. It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who become for us wisdom from God - that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption." 1 Corinthians 1:27-30

Lord, thanks for using weak, inadequate me. For valuing the lowly. Teach me how to humbly accept my "foolishness" and to work hard for Your glory, not mine. Show me the worth of becoming a fool for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment